Top tips for buying the right mattress
When it comes to buying the perfect mattress, there are many confusing and conflicting messages, says Simon Moore, founder of helmii, a new online store offering customised beds and mattresses in the UAE. ‘Make sure to use the following checklist for finding your perfect mattress.’
1. Try before you buy. Some mattress manufacturers will allow customers to have a test-sleep period and let them return the mattress if it doesn’t give them a good night’s rest.
2. Make comfort your ultimate goal. If you are comfortable, you will automatically have a better quality sleep.
3. Find a mattress that adjusts to your spine. Simply lie on the mattress in your normal sleeping position and ask a friend to observe your spine and whether it remains neutral and without curving. The mattress should be able to contour around your body; it is essential that you have good spinal support to reduce possible stress or pressure points.
4. Never buy a used mattress. Not only are they less hygienic but from the point of view of performance and structure, an older mattress will degrade over time.
5. Disregard brands. A higher price doesn’t necessarily mean better quality. Try to understand what the mattress offers. Layers of comfort, made out of memory foam are recommended as they will wrap around your body.
6. Beware of allergies. By looking for a mattress that is made out of natural materials you can minimise potential allergy issues. An ideal combination is a mix of polyurethane foam and organic, raw materials that help to regulate your sleep.
6. Finally, most mattresses have a lifespan of around seven years, though some experts say this timeframe is shorter if you’re over the age of 40 because your body may need a better foundation for sleep.
(Taken from Inside Out magazine, November 2018 issue).